Monday, August 29, 2016

A Simple Question

This past week Hannah asked me a simple question that made me really stop and think.  I was planning out my food for the day (a way that I keep myself accountable and to safeguard myself when I'm feeling weak).  Hannah asked what I was doing.  I struggled with my response. The real reason is because I have a food addiction and this is one of the ways I've been successful at overcoming it.  But how do you tell your daughter that you have such a struggle? I immediately felt ashamed of the reason. I felt trapped that I may always have to track my food because addiction never really goes away.  I don't want my kids to see this side of me or for it to influence the way my children view food.









But, how will they learn to deal with their own struggles? Yes, I have to come to terms with the fact that my children will deal with sin in their own lives.  I don't like the thought, but it is still the reality.  How do I let my kids see me fail?  I'm supposed to be the role model, the one who has the answers, the one who gets it right.  It's hard for me to share how I'm failing, especially with my kids.

I shared some of this with Matt, and was reminded that there is strength in vulnerability.  One of the most difficult things to do is to tell someone how you have failed.  But that's how we heal.  I started to see healing in my own life when I started sharing about my struggle with food.  The same will be true for my children.  Matt and I want to create an environment where they feel comfortable sharing their failures and struggles.  That starts with us, as parents, in our own home.  We have to be the ones to model that for our children no matter how scary that seems.

Now, here is my question for you (because I need help): How do you teach your children?  How are you vulnerable with them? How have you been most effective in discipling your little ones? I would love to hear your thoughts and also practical ways that this plays out in your families.

2 comments:

  1. This is so hard, but when I mess up I confess to them. I seek their forgiveness when there is some wrong that I have done against them. I ask them to pray for me and with me that God will help me. It is super humbling, but kids are all about LOVE! It's super scary to put yourself out there but who better to be accountable to than those who share your life with every day. It teaches us all so much about how God forgives and loves us, and that no humans are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can share this with the world, seeking advice and wisdom, I am beyond sure that God will give you wisdom to share it with your children. You will make mistakes. There will be times when you give them too much to carry, times that you give them too little, and a lot of times that God helps you to get it right!!! Love your heart!!!

    ReplyDelete